Spirit Day: The Top Ten Funders of Education and Safe Schools for LGBTQ communities
In honor of Spirit Day, which we observe to spotlight and support LGBTQ youth who are still bullied on a daily basis, we’re counting down the top ten grantmakers who fund education and safe schools for LGBTQ communities.
In 2011, the top ten funders were:
- Pride Foundation ( $858,766)
- Ford Foundation ($665,000)
- Anonymous ($602,750)
- Point Foundation ($568,495)
- Open Society Foundation ($565,000)
- Gill Foundation ($479,200)
- Tides Foundation ( $382,587.00)
- William Penn Foundation ($330,000)
- Arcus Foundation ( $300,000)
- Wells Fargo Foundation ($181,100)
Education and Safe Schools funding totaled $7.5 million or 6% of the $123 million awarded to LGBTQ issues in 2011. As our youth are some of the most vulnerable amongst us, we look forward to working with our members and other funders committed to LGBTQ issues to increase this number in the years to come.
For more information, click here to see the 2011 edition of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Grantmaking by U.S. Foundations.
NOTE: These figures include re-granting in 2011.
Category(s): Philanthropic Sector, General LGBTQ Community